600 grams peeled, chopped and boiled potatoes
1 brown onion, diced and shallow-fried (try adding ½ teaspoon of mixed herbs while cooking)
40 grams cheddar cheese
50 grams butter, softened
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
8 pork sausages, cooked
100 grams flour
2 eggs, beaten
100 grams breadcrumbs
Oil, for deep frying
Gravy, to serve
1. Mash together the potatoes, butter, onion, cheese, salt, and pepper.
2. Cut the sausages in half and surround them with a thin layer of mashed potato.
3. Lay out 3 bowls, each one containing a different coating: flour, eggs, and breadcrumbs.
4. Coat the croquette first in flour, then eggs, followed by breadcrumbs, then one more time in the eggs, and lastly breadcrumbs.
5. Heat the oil to 160°C/325˚F. (If you don’t have a thermometer, you can test the oil by dropping in a small piece of white bread. If it sizzles and browns within 45 seconds, the oil is ready.)
6. Carefully deep-fry the bangers and mash bombs in small batches for a few minutes until golden brown.
7. Drain on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt, and serve with warm gravy.